COMMUNITY FOREST MANAGER
Expression of Interest
TITLE: GENERAL MANAGER – CONTRACT POSITION
SALARY: COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
CLIENT: MCBRIDE COMMUNITY FOREST CORPORATION
TERM: FULL TIME
McBride Community Forest Corporation is looking for a reliable, self-motivated individual to take over the management of the corporation.
Under the direction of the MCBRIDE COMMUNITY FOREST CORPORATION’s (MCFC) Board of Directors, and the written goals and objectives of the MCFC, the Contractor will act on behalf of the MCFC as the General Manager to provide forest operations management services as outlined in the following:
This contract position is accountable for ensuring the proper management and financial success of the business and forestry operations of the MCFC related to the MCFC Agreement K1H.
The General Manager is responsible for, but not limited to:
- Preparing and managing the MCFC’s annual work plan, business plan, and budget;
- Negotiating and preparing contracts for Board approval for all contracted services such as forest management consultants, road construction, forest harvesting, silviculture, administrative services, etc;
Supervising all contractors working for the organization and efficiently coordinating the day-to-day operations and activities of the organization;
- Serving as the link between the daily operations of the MCFC and the Board;
- Attending meetings of the Board and committees as required;
- Acquisition or development of all required plans and permits; including a Forest Stewardship Plan, and as required for road construction, harvesting forest resources on the tenure, silviculture activities, etc.;
Conducting inventories of the forest resource;
- Ensuring sustainable supply of fibre is available to be marketed annually or as market conditions dictate and that sufficient Standing Timber Inventory (STI) is available to maximize revenue opportunities;
- Working with timber purchasers to identify fibre requirements and prepare competitive timber sales to maximize revenues from the sale of logs and or fibre, while encouraging value-added manufacturing and the local processing of fibre;
- Ensuring that operations are in compliance with management objectives and strategies, public consultation requirements, and timber supply objectives;
- Protecting the forest resources by undertaking regular surveillance activities to detect and appraise the significance of any forest insect or disease in the tenure area;
- Ensuring compliance with established standards for road construction, timber harvesting and hauling, and silviculture carried out by independent contractors working for MCFC; Ensuring a high level of forest stewardship of the MCFC by meeting the requirements of the Forest Act, Forest and Range Practices Act and pursuant regulations;
- Developing support for the Company in the local community through involvement in community affairs and identification of opportunities for MCFC to add value to the communities and the Community Forest land base;
- Building effective relations with the community and partners in MCFC business transactions; including contractors, employees, local governments and staff, provincial ministries and agencies;
Identifying opportunities to upgrade and improve business processes;
- Coaching the forestry team, ensuring that members have clear objectives, receive comprehensive feedback on performance, and have personal development plans focused on achieving excellence;
- Investing in personal growth, development and self-renewal by updating credentials, acquiring new skills, staying abreast of new development in forestry and upgrading this performance;
- Conducting activities in accordance to WorkSafe B.C. (WCB) requirements.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of 5 years working in BC forest management
- Well rounded experience including contractor negotiations, timber sales, silviculture, planning, budgeting
Demonstrated ability to manage all aspects of a forest industry business with minimal supervision
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- High level of computer skills
- In good physical condition with a valid BC drivers license (Class 5 minimum)
- Willing to live or relocate to beautiful McBride, BC
- Preference may apply if the applicant is registered or eligible for registration as an RPF or RFT with the Association of BC Forest Professionals
Interested applicants should apply by Friday, June 30th, 2017, with a resume and covering letter.
Please reference General Manager and indicate clearly in your covering letter how your experience and qualifications meet the requirements of this position.
Applications may be submitted to:
Board of Directors,
McBride Community Forest Corporation,
P.O. Box 370,
McBride, BC. V0J 2E0,
Attention: Joe Rich, Chair
or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note, only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.